Sat 30
U13s JPL
Close encounter with Local Rivals

Close encounter with Local Rivals

By Gary Watkins
Share via

Doyle bags a brace

City u12's entertained Hereford in the JPL and came out on top with a 2-1 victory
The game started with both sides fighting to get the ball down and set the pace. The visitors had a early chance with a break down the left but the striker was denied getting his shot away by a superbly timed tackle by Jay Bennet In the home defence. It was a frantic first five minutes and Kyle Clayton saw his effort go wide. Both sides were creating chances but the defences coped well with any danger. City almost took the lead after some fine work down the right by Clayton who crossed to Ash Doyle who uncharacteristically mishit his shot straight at the keeper.
Hereford broke clear but the finish didn't bother Louis Hudson in the home goal. Further efforts from Adam Willis, Clayton and Doyle were either off target or dealt with by the visitors keeper as the home side struggled in front of goal. Hereford were looking dangerous on the break but the home defence led by the Dominant Josh Francis in the centre coped with any threat. Right on the whistle for the first quarter an excellent defence splitting pass by Henry Guy put Clayton in on goal but the keeper denied him with a strong save as the quarter ended honours even at 0-0
City started to take control in the second quarter especially in midfield with Willis and Guy controlling the centre and Jake Brookes and Josh Sanders looking lively out wide. Rafe Green up top was working hard and after pressing the keeper he robbed the ball and crossed for Jake Brookes who could not convert into the empty net. Green then hit the post as he slid the ball past the advancing keeper after some excellent work by Clayton and the marauding Joe Layland down the right. Doyle, Brookes and Guy squandered further goal scoring opportunities before finally the home side took the lead in the 37th minute. Rafe Green put Doyle Clear and he found his finishing boots with a thunderous drive past the keeper
The third quarter continued in the same vein with City dominating but Hereford still dangerous on the break. A typical strong run from midfield by Henry Guy through three tackles almost saw the home side double their lead but he was denied by the keeper bravely diving at his feet. Brookes and Clayton combined down the right before pulling the ball back for Green but his effort crept agonisingly wide. Green had another chance a few minutes later after some superb footwork on the by line by Adam Willis but once again the keeper saved the tame shot. Guy found himself in the clear after a long ball over the visitors defence but he lacked composure blasting his effort over the bar. The third quarter ended with the score still 1-0 and the game in the balance
With Hereford pushing for the equaliser in the last quarter one or two gaps opened up and Green once again found himself in on goal but was unable to finish as was Clayton who saw his effort saved by the keeper. A rare defensive mistake by the home side saw the Hereford wing man through on goal but his shot was pushed round the post by Watkins for a corner. From the resulting corner Hereford got the goal that their battling and determination deserved when they headed home at the far post in the 71st minute. Were city going to regret a day of missed chances? The answer was no as they went straight up the other end from the kick off and Doyle kept his cool as he rounded the keeper to restore the home sides lead. City then controlled the final five minutes to see out the victory
Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 30, Nov 2019