Sat 22
Worcester City FC U12
Sat 22
Kidderminster Athletic Eagles U11
Worcester City FC U11s vs Kidderminster Athletic Eagles U11s (Mercian Counties Shield U11 (Plate) cup match)

Worcester City FC U11s vs Kidderminster Athletic Eagles U11s (Mercian Counties Shield U11 (Plate) cup match)

By Simon Fletcher
Share via

A great start, to what will hopefully be a long run in the Mercian Counties Shield cup for Worcester City FC U11s

Worcester City FC U11s hosted the Kidderminster Athletic Eagles U11s team at Perdiswell Leisure Centre, Worcester on Saturday 22nd January 2022 for a Mercian Counties Shield U11 (Plate) cup match.

Manager Luke Morris presided over the team.

Team Sheet
Goal Keeper – Tom
Defenders - Joel & Theo
Midfielders - Will (co-captain), Luke (co-captain), Arlo, Ewan, Hayden & Toby
Forwards - Olly & Max

First Half
Having faced the same opposition only two weeks ago in the league, the first half started in a similar fashion as that first meeting, with City applying all the early pressure. The Eagles teams defence was holding strong by keeping space tight between their players and forcing the play into compact areas.

In the 24th minute, City created a goal scoring chance. City were awarded a free-kick for handball mid-way into the Eagles half and in a fairly central location, Joel stepped up to take the kick and aimed a shot goal ward. The ball was heading for the bottom right corner of the Eagles goal, but the Eagles goal keeper managed to quickly position himself to catch the ball before it went over the line.

In the 26th minute, City created a goal scoring chance. Toby had the ball on the left wing, mid-way into the Eagles half and crossed the ball to the edge of the penalty area where Joel was waiting. The ball was still travelling through the air and Joel controlled the ball onto his chest and as it fell, he volleyed the ball goal wards but the shot went just over the crossbar by a matter of inches.

In the 28th minute, City opened their scoring account in the match. Following an attempted through ball from an Eagles attack, Joel intercepted the ball in the City half and went on a forward run with it. Joel took the ball over the half way line and in doing so, took the ball past an Eagles midfielder who attempted to win the ball. Mid-way into the Eagles half, Joel played the ball forward for Max who was running into the Eagles penalty area being marked by an Eagles defender. Max controlled the pass from Joel and evaded the defender on his shoulder; he was now one on one with the Eagles keeper and struck a shot at goal. The shot was straight at the keeper and he managed to block it, but the ball rebounded straight back to Max who took another shot and this time he found the back of the net in the bottom right corner (that was Max’s seventh goal of the season).

In the 30th minute, City scored another goal in the match. Having conceded a goal a couple of minutes before, the Eagles team were now beginning to hesitate on the ball and the City players quickly struck again by getting the ball into the Eagles penalty area. Max took a shot at the goal from mid-way into the area and as before, the shot was too close to the keeper and he managed to block it with his hands, but this time the ball rebounded to Arlo who was just outside the 6 yard box and to the left of the goal. The ball came to Arlo from the keeper at waist height and on his left side, with no time to allow the ball to drop and spin to get the ball on his favoured right foot, Arlo volleyed the ball with his left foot into the bottom left of the goal (that was Arlo’s fourth goal of the season).

Second Half
In the 42nd minute, City scored another goal in the match. City had won a free-kick on the right wing and mid-way into the Eagles half, for a trip on a City player and Joel stepped up to take the kick. Joel crossed the ball into the Eagles penalty area and even though the area was packed with players, the ball managed to dissect them all, bounced once and then fell to Toby who was completely unmarked only a few yards out from the goal and he buried the ball into the top of the net (that was Toby’s fifth goal of the season and Joel’s third assist).

In the 54th minute, the City defence denied Eagles a goal scoring chance. One of the Eagles attackers played a through ball which left another Eagles attacker challenging for the ball, one on one with Theo in the City defence. The pair started the battle mid-way into the City half but before they had reached the D area, the Eagles player appeared to push Theo to the ground from behind. The referee allowed play to continue and this now left the Eagles player one on one with Tom the City goal keeper, the ball had slightly run away from the Eagles player after the challenge with Theo and Tom saw his chance to rush out and cover the ball. The pair met just inside the area and both put in a crunching challenge which Tom won and he cleared the ball from the danger area.

In the 59th minute, City created a goal scoring chance. City had won a corner and Toby stepped up to take the kick, Luke came running towards the corner and Toby played a short kick to him. One of the Eagles defenders followed Luke as he came short and Toby had now ran around Luke to make space, Luke played the ball back to Toby near the edge of the penalty area. Again this drew in the defender to Toby, but Luke had now run into the area and was in space and Toby played the ball back to him. Luke was mid-way into the area and with a clear sight of goal, so he wound up a shot that was destined for the left side of goal but the Eagles keeper managed to get into position and saved at his near post.

Well played Eagles and good luck for the rest of the season. The match was watched by a couple of dozen respectful spectators who enjoyed a great game of football. All the City players put in great performances in the game but it was Will who was awarded man-of-the-match.

Thanks to all the City parents for their help and support on match day.

Share via
Recent news

Match details

Match date

Sat 22, Jan 2022



Meet time